Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Running is not for proud people.

Running for me means three things:

1. Lots of snot, coming from my nose.. like an African orphan in a World Vision commercial.

2. Freezing sausage fingers.

3. I get confused when I have head phones on about other peoples ability to hear me, if I can't hear them. This mainly leads to me laughing out loud at how ridiculous people often look around our neighborhood. I then try to pass it off like I am listening to something funny on my phone.

My neighborhood is a whole other story that deserves a full description. Teaser: I saw two men in floor length fur coats with Russian style matching fur hats walking out of a super ritzy movie theater during my run. I wasn't phased by their coats, because this is not that uncommon an outfit to see in my neighborhood. I was more curious as to whether they were actually foreign, an older male couple or a combination of the two...which seems to often be the case around here. Not that I care, just that it's definitley the norm in the Central West End(even the name is snotty).

I always thought people who were runners were way too impressed with themselves, and disliked them. I ran on and off through high school and college but would never have considered myself a runner. This is mostly due to my inability to run consistently for more than a couple of months at a time, and my gruelingly slow pace that is also my top speed. Really, I'm not just being annoying and saying that to make myself somehow sounds more humble...I am a painfully slow runner and always will be.

I assume that I am not the only person who has thought that people who call themselves runners often come off as overly impressed with themselves. I realize now that, among most other things that make us jealous, this feeling is often our way of making out laziness feel like the norm and other peoples productivity seem pompous. There is no excuse for not taking care of your body. I am not claiming to be the most healthy person in any way, but at least I try. This has to be the #1 most ignored sin in Christians and other faiths alike. I started to type an apology to follow that statement but erased it. It's true and I hope it makes you take a better look at how you are treating the only body you have to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment