Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Water Only

A lot of things have happened in the past 1.5 months. But all of those things probably deserve their own posts...so I'll do that later I guess.

I have talked to a few people who have decided to give up shampoo. It seems like a funny/gross thing to stop using. I read a lot of things about all the crap that they put in shampoo that we put on our heads. A few of those commonly used chemicals are banned from food packaging and can't be ingested because they are toxic. Anyway, read for yourselves if you want.

From what I have read there are two different approaches to this. 1. using alternative washing solution(baking power, vinegar, etc). 2. Water Only.

I decided to go with the second option, water only.

The basis of the idea is supply and demand. When we strip our hair of it's natural oils, it will conitnue to over-produce oil to make up for what the shampoo is doing. If we stop using it, our hair will stop making too much oil and will stabilize back to it's natural state. Think, baby hair.

Unfortunately your hair doesn't automatically let out a sigh of releif and become naturally beautiful. It's actually quite the oppisite.

Today is day two for me. It's not the best honestly. Tonight I decided to blow dry it after my shower in hopes that I was in the middle of a mission trip at work tomorrow. I think it helped.

So anyway, I plan to stick it out and see how long it takes for my hair to return back to how it's meant to be. We'll see how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great thing.

    I do this now, and started about 6 months ago. I chose to undertake the experiment after a failed change of shampoos gave me dandruff, for the first time in my life. I wouldn't stand for it.

    I had read somewhere that it wasn't necessary to wash our hair nearly as often as most did, and that many stylists or hairdressers recommend washing it sparsely. Luckily for me, I wasn't involved with anyone and didn't have to worry too much about my appearance.

    It took my head about 4 or 5 weeks to adjust completely. It wasn't too terrible. Though, I could imagine it will be harder for you, having long hair and all.

    Now, I wash my hair once every week to week and half. It's pretty nice. Though, I still shower daily and rinse my head thoroughly. If any recommendations, there would be two things that I've found important. Make sure to take your time and massage your scalp every night, and then I like to finish my shower and washing of the head with cooler or cold water. I feel like it closes the pores to help control the oils of the scalp.

    Good luck, Mrs. Snyder. Make me proud, and please keep me updated.

    ReplyDelete